8.21.2012

6 Reasons Why you should use the Pinterest “No Pin” Code

I did something crazy. I added the Pinterest “no pin” code to my craft and sewing website. I thought long and hard about this choice and decided that for the protection of my brand and process it was a necessary step.
So I sat back and waited, and to my surprise, it worked! I have the “No Pin” code on my website and I still get tons of traffic from Pinterest.
Here are six reasons you should apply the “No Pin” Code to your website:
1. People can still pin, just not whatever they want.
All you need to do is provide the “pin it “ button and people can still pin, just what you decide to let them pin. The goal is to continue to get traffic from Pinterest and still protect your copyright and brand. Be sure to inform your audience pinning is possible – they need to use the buttons you provide.
2. It doesn’t give away the whole show.
By only letting people pin a few things gives them a reason to come to your website and browse. For example most of my pinnable pictures show the final result of a tutorial, but not each detailed step. They want those pictures they need to come to my website.
3. It pushes your pinfographics. 
My pinners have no choice but to use the long pinfographics I provide. My long pinfographics get more repins than my basic pictures, getting me more traffic.
4. It protects your brand. 
While I have made it a practice to watermark everything, I’ll be honest the majority of my tutorial demonstration pictures are not Pinterest worthy. I want my pretty final result pictures pinned, not something mid process. By making only my glamour shots pinnable it puts my website’s “best foot forward.”
5. No more random pins. 
Before I starting “controlling” what was pinned from my website I went and browsed my Pinterest source page. I was amazed at the random things people pinned: like an ad that had nothing to do with my site, or a picture that had nothing to do with the tutorial page it was linked to, etc. The repins of these are low, plus I had my doubts that the pinner was  really going to be able to recall why he or she pinned that image in the first place?
6. You provide the text. 
While there are ways clever ways to write the caption for a pin, the easiest is using the pin it button. Be sure your specific key words and your website make it into the pin description.

I know that if someone really wants to pin something on my website there are ways to work around the “No Pin” code, but most pinners are impulsive and the majority won’t take the time and added steps needed to work around it.
Adding the “No Pin” code to your website is a big step. By adding the “No Pin” code to mine, the amount of pins has stayed relatively the same—and repins have gone up. Like most things with the web it will take experimentation to see if it’s a good fit for your website. For me I sleep better at night knowing that I’ve protected my copyright and brand.


Angel has a bachelor degree in Film Studies from the University of Utah, with a professional background in film, television, radio, and ad production. Angel currently divides her time between her small production company Angel Dawn Productions, her online sewing and crafting blog www.FleeceFun.com, two little girls, husband, and on very good days getting the dishes done!



2 comments:

  1. The follow me on Pinterest button below the archives connects to a man's profile, named Duc Vu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's my Pinterest account.
      Thanks for reading ! :)

      Delete